Wrapping Up Patreon—Going Forward

May 27, 2024
I thought the Edith Wharton quotation applicable to my life in general when I scribbled it down in my journal last November. Now it just seems apt. Sharply apt. But open to the possibility that in self-awareness of this there is some softness, some kindness. And of course some craft in piecing bits together.

After four and a half years I closed my Patreon RozInterim paid-subscription blog on May 17, 2024. (Right now there are new videos for the subscribed in a final free month through June, but no new subscriptions are being accepted.)

It contained over 57 main demonstration tutorials and hours and hours of themed video chats on everything from color theory to dip pens, painting on Claybord™ to the internal critic—and even a little bit on my favorite hobby horse: art forgery. As well as over 120 additional written posts.

Looking back on it I wonder how I created all that in the time involved, while meeting the requirements of my life, posting here on this free blog, and working through 2 major health crises.

But like any large project I know that it happened bit by bit.

And I also know that it happened because I had an engaged and curious audience. For the first four years I used each month as an opportunity to deal with a specific topic. And while those topics always came out of my own interests and my own art practice (the things staring up at me from the drawing table), they also came from the great questions and curiosity that my readership had and expressed to me. (Since December 2023 I gave up “themed months” in favor of “pressing matters”—things of most current interest to me, doing them as they came up, not waiting to put them into themes. It allowed me to work in small bits of time more easily, and frankly, when I got out of the hospital last fall I dove into a rather large project that didn’t fit in a month theme—and I wanted to share it all.)

I told someone in our final live webinar a week or so ago, “I don’t think there are any bad questions, because sometimes we find out that what is not a good question is that we didn’t ask the right question and by asking the ‘not-a-good-question’ we find out what the right question to ask is and then we get an answer. Isn’t that cool how that works? I love it. So let’s go for it.”

I think that pretty much sums up my teaching philosophy, questions, exploration, discovery. And there is nothing cooler than that.

So why give up Patreon teaching at this time?

1. Patreon contained a fatal flaw that enable content theft. And despite my entreaties to them to fix it, they didn’t. (A few bad apples in the subscription pool were sharing my videos with hundreds of other people. It matters.)
  2. I stalled at a level of patrons that didn’t allow me to break even for my data storage costs. (All those videos take a ton of space to back up. And costs keep rising when you’re being charged by the bytes which are constantly increasing!)
  3. It has become obvious to me in the past few months that I need to focus now on my recovery from the left iliac vein dissection that put me in the hospital in Sept. 2023. My physical comeback has been hampered by long hours at the computer.

What Happens Now?

Well I have absolutely no clue.

This brings to an end 42 years of teaching a variety of subjects, part- and full-time. I’m still dealing with the impulse of constantly wanting to jump on the computer and explain something to someone.

I was like that before email and the internet, and I guess I’m going to be a recovering explainer now.

But it will mean changes here on RozWoundUp.

I don’t know what those changes will actually be.

Typically I post here Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. That might slow down to once a week? Maybe less? The counter to that is my self-awareness that I have always been an avid letter writer and my blog has always been an outlet for that love, after more than one friend told me to stop writing letters because they couldn’t keep up! (For the record I never did ask them to.)

Typically, in recent years, I’ve posted mostly about art-related topics and also posted video tutorials. Since taping more tutorials would only add to the burden of my already costly monthly tutorial archive bill I don’t think I’ll do much of that.

Sometimes, while on one of my “walks to nowhere,” my mind slips off into a bit of revery on topics long since shelved (once I started teaching online in 2011).  I admit that the siren call of those topics is rather sweet to my ear. Now that the current bustle to explain color theory or how to handle the internal critic has ended the distant tunes are becoming clearer, my journals are filling up with different sorts of projects.

I like that. Originally when I started the blog it was to be about “My Many Enthusiasms.” And it was. I wrote about cycling quite a lot, and of course movies and television.  I still miss cycling every day. It was integral to my physical health, mental balance, and my identity. I am still adjusting to its loss. And because it’s now prohibited I won’t be writing about it anytime soon. But there are of course movies, television, books. Also I am rather fond of baking and I do tend to write about things I’m fond of right? So maybe some posts on baking. OR not, it’s more explaining right?

We’ll just have to wait and see.

I think the topics may become more generalist in nature, illustrated always with one of my sketches—because I’m still sketching and will continue to do that despite the vision issues; and because I think it makes the blog rather festive.

I also expect I’ll take off in one direction and then do a “crazy Ivan”* when we all least expect it.

So if things change now in a way that doesn’t interest you, I understand, fare well on your journey. But maybe check back now and then because our paths may cross again.

As implied in my caption for today’s image, I’ll just be here crafting bits together.

In the meantime, blah, blah, blah, (all the good positive stuff I’m always going on about); and sketch everyday as if your life depended on it—because it does.

* When I read my blog post to Dick the following conversation ensued.

Dick: Are they going to understand what a “crazy Ivan” is? Is it in the vernacular?
Roz: Yes it’s in the vernacular, just the other day we were in the car and you were driving, and I said ‘Look at that car it’s about to do…’ and before I could finish you said, “crazy Ivan.” So yes, it’s in the vernacular.
Dick: Not necessarily, I said “crazy Ivan” because I knew what you were going to say because you are always going on about “crazy Ivans.”
Roz: Well it’s in the Urban Dictionary, they can look it up. I believe it’s in the vernacular—everyone uses it.

• Jen
    • May 27, 2024

All the very, very best Roz. I’m sorry to say goodbye to Patreon but looking forward to continuing to follow you here. If there’s one thing I’ve learned: even if I don’t think I’m going to be interested in what you’re about to say, it always turns out I am. Wishing you all the very very best in your recovery x

Jen I know you understand all the backstory. I have loved seeing your creative journey. I’m so glad you find the writing here interesting. That makes me very happy. I look forward to seeing what you do going forward. (We always have DP.)

• bill b
        • May 27, 2024

I hope to keep following. Approaching 80 this summer is about to become a deeper dive into a part of life that is filled with “bits” to re-assemble. I’ll always remember your commentary on the “Toughest Job” we will take on. My mom passed with Dementia a few years ago and my dear wife Linda passed with Dementia this past March. 63 years together. We were children. “They” said it would never last. I still draw. I hope you can continue to post the wisdom to help us along our way. Thanks bill b

bill, it’s good to hear from you. Yep, more bits to re-assemble as we age. I was sorry to hear that your mom passed away recently and then your wife Linda, that’s a heavy one-two punch. I find dementia is a very difficult progression to watch and my heart goes out to you. I’m so glad you had so many great years with Linda. That’s what we hold on to. Keep drawing bill!

• Tyanne
    • May 27, 2024

I agree with the poster above that everything you post is interesting so I look forward to seeing the twists and turns that you take going forward. I understood Crazy Ivan from the context but thought I had never heard it before until your conversation with Dick prompted me to look it up. I have heard it once since I saw Hunt for red October😁

That’s too funny. Clearly if we can ever get to the zoo to sketch you will be introduced to “my vernacular.” Thanks for being so engaged and for putting in the work.

• Christine
      • May 27, 2024

You do you, Roz, and those of us lucky enough to have found you on line will be anxiously anticipating what comes next. In the meantime, I’ll look at everything with an artist’s eye, I’ll make journals as I need them and I’ll sketch every day. Just like you taught me. Many thanks for that.

Christine, keep using that artist’s eye. I’m so glad I could be part of your evolution into a daily sketcher!

• Sally
    • May 27, 2024

I have really enjoyed Rozwoundup for years, now, and your Patreon site, as well as some of your online classes. You’re a wonderful inspiration and have helped me on my art journey immensely.I also have to mention the overall life wisdom and humor you routinely put out there… I will continue following your blog for as long as you are posting it and whatever else you may put together in the future… Best wishes for your continuing recovery…
    I’m truly disappointed with Patreon’s stance on allowing theft of your content.

Sally, I appreciate the kind note and the good wishes, thanks for letting me be part of your creative journey. I’m glad you enjoy the blog.

• Beverlee
    • May 27, 2024

I’m so lucky that I found you online — what a bit of serendipity. You’ve shaped my inner life in ways too numerous to list here, and given me hours of enjoyment. I’ll keep meeting up with you here, because no matter what you’re writing about, you always make it fun and salient. Thanks for all you’ve given me.

Beverlee, thank you for the kind note. I’m so glad I’ve been able to be a part of your creative journey.

I’ve been following you and inspired by you since i first found your Daily Dots journal pages online before blogs were invented.

I am sorry your health issues (and the stupid technology bosses) are creating challenges. I understand as I have experienced some physical challenges requiring lifestyle changes too. But along with grief at the losses, I’m grateful we still get to be making art, even if it’s in a different way or quantity.

Jana, it’s so good to hear from you. I appreciate you stopping by. I’m glad that you’ve been weathering the physical challenges and still making art. It makes me very happy!

• Michelle Y
    • June 4, 2024

Hi Roz, I’ve been following your blog since I was introduced to you through Danny Gregory’s Sketchbook Skool class. I didn’t click with your aesthetic at first, but I admired your commitment to teaching and signed up for several of your online bookbinding and sketching classes on Ruzuku. I also signed up for your Patreon for a little while, but since I didn’t have time to watch the videos I stopped subscribing. But I’ve always appreciated your writing and the sketches you share no matter the platform. You are such a generous and knowledgeable and no-nonsense teacher and I will miss you if you are no longer online but understand that taking care of your health is first priority! I’ve enjoyed your musings on various topics, and been touched by how you described taking care of your father-in-law and others in your life. May there always be time and space for you to make art and I hope you’ll find creative ways to continue exercising your gift of teaching if you desire.

Michelle, I’m glad I was able to be part of your creative journey. Stop by sometime in the future and see if the blog still gives you enjoyment.

• Trudy Mason
    • June 4, 2024

I have enjoyed Roz Wound Up for many years and I will continue to do so for (I hope) many more years. I am sorry Patreon wasn’t doing what it should have been doing so that you could have continued sending us your wonderful posts. There is so much valuable information there and I am afraid I haven’t been able to get through all of it..sigh…
    You have and will continue to be a source of inspiration, not only for your artwork and teaching but also for the way in which you handle the challenges that life throws at you. I am working on doing better in that regard, thanks to your example. I’m once again busy with elder care, this time with my mother. I haven’t been posting much this last while but I have been drawing almost every day. I am so relieved that you will continue to inspire and delight here on Roz Wound Up. All the best Roz, you deserve it.

Trudy, It’s been great fun to work with you and see your art adventures! I am glad that through the elder care for your mom you are still drawing. I know it will keep your spirits and energy up. I hope that you have quality time with your mom. I’ll see you down the road.

• Charlin
    • June 5, 2024

Roz – I have followed you here for at least a decade and I hope we both have another coming. You taught me to make books – and it’s the most gratifying thing I’ve ever done. You’ve also taught me a lot about life, and shared a lot of laughs. Here for baking, chickens, stubble, snow piles, no caffeine after noon, or just quiet. Many Thanks and my best to you.

Charlin, it makes me so happy to know that learning to make books is the most gratifying thing you’ve ever done. It’s really how I feel at the end of the process, holding that book in my hand, knowing that it’s going to get filled, but also enjoying the structure that moment just as the wonderful thing it is, and then as the holder of all that potential. I hope you continue to fill your books with all your favorite things, and lots of laughter! THanks for reading. I hope going forward here you’ll stop by now and then and see what I’m upto.

• Donna McMenamin
    • June 6, 2024

Roz, you are a teacher and I don’t believe that will ever stop……..well maybe one day of course, but then, knowing you, you will find a way to continue even then…..and I will prob be in your class😉. Seems I have followed you my whole art life…..I’m not ready to give that up yet. Yes, you can rest, heal and start a new chapter, but keep posting your drawings & paintings even if just on IG cuz I’m not willing to let go of ROZ.

Best wishes on your health.