The Weirdo Journal Completed

November 25, 2009

A look inside the completed weirdo journal I was discussing in October and November 2009.

On October 22 I posted a short video of my weirdo journal in progress. I thought it would be fun for people to see how the pages were being built, while they were under construction.

I finished that visual journal on November 12 and made the above video of the completed journal. (The video runs for about 8 minutes.) The video is low visual quality as I'm working with my small digital camera and taping in 60 second increments, but I think it shows you enough to get the pace and feel of the journal. Additionally you can see stills and read discussions about various page spreads by going to Weirdo Journal: Posts which Cover this Journal, which is a PAGE on my blog, found under "Pages" in the left column of this blog.

In the above vide, which shows the completed journal, I use the words "other journal" at the beginning of the video when I am actually talking about the other "video," but from context I think this is clear, and almost immediately I make the correct statement. I hope this clarifies things. If not, well just enjoy what you see.

If the embedded video doesn't work please go to view the Weirdo Journal Completed on YouTube.

If you haven't been reading the various posts on this journal and wonder whether you would enjoy going back to check them out I'll just say that I think that what is most fun for me in this journal is the mix of sketching and collage I did, as well as some gouache paintings and some Stabilo Tone drawings. There is as usual a lot of Pentel Pocket Brush Pen work. If those things interest you then you'll enjoy those posts.

Hi Roz.
    I watched the linked video in this post and am really impressed. Lots of ideas and I like that you use the word document, you wanted to document…
    Your images and thoughts are great, as usual.
    I wonder if you might talk about the glue you use to place images on your page. They look really flat and well attached. Thanks for sharing.

Oh Roz, as always I LOVE watching your videos with your great commentary! So glad you took time to show us the whole weirdo journal!!! I meant to send you a comment on the journal writing post to tell you that I was inspired after your comments to my first question about writing in your journals to do some different types of writing and use different types of papers in my journal. We took a fall trip to Ashville and I did some fun things in my journal (before we left) using different papers and some “interactive” stuff. You can see a couple pages on my blog but I still haven’t posted about my “interactive” stuff yet – hope to get to it in the next week or so. I put papers down using decoupage and some thin tape I got from my framer. After painting on them with watercolor they didn’t budge – I was thankful for that and will use this process again! I also got a glue stick and am going to see if that works as good. Thanks for all your on going inspiration!!! I just love checking out your blog every day!

• Chris
    • November 25, 2009

Actually the “completed” link goes to the “in progress journal” or it did for me. Here’s the other link:

Wonderful journal Roz

• Carolyn
    • November 25, 2009

Nice! Thanks Roz. (watched it on YouTube)

• November 25, 2009

Melanie, I’m glad you enjoyed the video.

I use UHU Gluestick (the PURPLE variety) because it doesn’t smell (even their white variety smells too strongly for me) and it WORKS!

See my film about supporting glue seams in a casebound book here http://typepad.rozwoundup.com/roz_wound_up/2009/05/adventures-in-bookbinding-roz-shows-you-how-to-support-glue-seams-in-a-casebound-book.html

in that video I talk about using the glue stick. You need to get it everywhere, burnish the piece in place with a protective sheet, and weight it!

• November 25, 2009

Sandi, thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed the new video. And I’m very glad to hear you are using different papers, went to your blog and saw a couple when I scrolled down. Very fun indeed. I look forward to seeing the interactive pages!

• November 25, 2009

Thank you Chris. When I turned on the computer this a.m. the embedded version didn’t work (sometimes they work for me and sometimes they don’t) and because of your helpful note I also took time to correct the links so everything should be correct now, fingers crossed!

• Donna
    • November 25, 2009

Hi Roz, the embedded journal video worked just fine for me. This is just so cool when you show an entire journal in context. Now, some food for thought–Have you ever considered teaching an online class? I would love to take some sort of rendering class from you and I am sure that there are many other Rozettes that would too. Think about it please as Minneapolis is a little too far from Tucson to just pop over. Thanks and have a good holiday–lucky for Gert she is not a Turkey.

• November 25, 2009

Donna, glad the links and embedding worked! I’m not big on thinking about online classes as I like to be present to bully the students! (And I am even a little funny in person.)

I imagine on-line classes will be something that happens in the future, but I don’t know when. Too much equipment to upgrade and master that will take me away from what I’m supposed to be doing!

I have to say though, that Tucson is NOT that far from Mpls! Half of Minnesota moves to Tucson every winter!

You have a happy holiday! Thanks for writing.

Roz,
    It is always a pure pleasure to get a look inside your journals. Thank you for sharing your weirdo journal video with us. Also, as someone who has seen many of your journals over the years, it was fun to see all the variety of media in this one.
    -Briana

• November 27, 2009

Thanks Briana, I think that coming off the flu kept my time per session in the journal short and that had some interesting results. I really enjoyed “reliving” the journal when I got it out to video it.

Hi Roz,
    I found the Weirdo Journal totally fascinating. I love the mix of collage and sketches… and your thoughts on the pages, explaining whys and wherefores. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your online workshop for Strathmore. I never realised how absorbing the technical side of art is! =)

Thank you Rosie, I’m glad you enjoyed it. It was a fun book to make and fill and I think that comes across in the final flip through. It’s one of my favorite journals and was an interesting time for me personally.

I’m glad you found the technical side interesting. I find it endlessly absorbing, as you can see from this blog!

Thanks for writing.