In Context: The Path Forward

July 10, 2019

Don’t worry, I still have my braids. It helps to get a second opinion.

• Kare Furman
    • July 10, 2019

I hear you and have pondered similar action. . A blank canvas (shaved head) can do a lot to clear the space inside said head. Even if considered rather than done. As a wise and funny dear friend said to me….”it’s not the last crazy thing you’ll do.”

There were just so many days when I couldn’t handle washing and drying it after the eye surgeries! I think it might be sensible going forward, but if not and it is crazy, I agree with your friend.

Stress can affect hair growth and condition. Shaving it off does not. Hair grows back in. Usually. For most people. Perhaps. Anyway, you’d hate the regrowth stubble. Whoa, second thought, STUBBLE! Sending healing bubbles your way …..oooooOOOOO

Stubble. Ah, now there’s a thought.

• Sharon Gorberg
    • July 11, 2019

If you are really at this point I say….
    Pick up a tool and start drawing. 😊
    Love Dick’s note!!!

Sharon, with the new eyes that is no longer an option.

• Tyanne
    • July 11, 2019

Your husband is the best. Love his note. Imagining you without your braids is mind blowing, but if your ever did shave your head you would rock the look!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tyanne. I think that when I’m a little older I’ll have to give up the braids. We tried once having Dick braid them when I have the first bout of shoulder trouble years ago. He just can’t get the hang of it!!! OUCH!

• Kathy Bricker
    • July 11, 2019

I think about doing that every day!

If I didn’t hate bangs and hair on my face, or looking like an artichoke Kathy I’d do it!

• Corinne McNamara
    • July 11, 2019

I hope things are improving for you. I love that you captured that moment.

Thanks Corinne. I look back and can smile.

There are certainly those days. Glad Dick is such a sweetie. But even Brittany Spears survived her head shave to rise again! I hope things have improved enormously since April.

Thanks Amy. It’s a process as I learn to adjust.

• Zeke Browning
    • July 11, 2019

Roz, in the FWIW department… I had a long ponytail almost all of my life. In part, because I hated my curly, and sometimes frizzy hair. At the age of 62, I was bucked off my horse and fractured my wrist. I couldn’t do my ponytail. Like Dick, Mike had to do it and couldn’t get the hang of it and OUCH. I had my hair cut short. What a revelation! No headaches, no going to bed with damp hair or pinning myself to the bed with my own hair, shorter shampoos (saving both time and water) and the lightheadedness! I had no idea how heavy hair was until it was cut off. I finally learned to live with the curls – and it’s less curly now that I’ve gotten older. As for the frizz, if I find myself in very humid climates, there are a lot of products that tame things down. End of that problem. Maybe twice in the past 10 years have I even remotely thought about having long hair again and the thought quickly passes. Biggest upsides to having short hair: more time and less fuss.

So, you might want to consider it. You can always go in stages…and, believe me, I get not wanting it in your face and wanting it pulled back (in fact I’m insistent when I get my hair cut that the sides are long enough to tuck behind my ears). The cool thing about cutting our hair is that we can grow it out if we hate it!

• Kathleen Michael
    • July 11, 2019

Roz, I am so sorry you are having difficulties. Not just words or a kind thought. That was then, this is now, so don’t know if you are still considering it. But if you are I would say: If in doubt, leave it out . . .until you are sure. Maybe working with clay or play dough would be less taxing on the eyes and a way for you to do art.
    Even if I do not generally comment, I enjoy your sharing you.

• Elizabeth Ingraham
    • July 11, 2019

Yes, of course you should cut your hair! (Not shave if off). You have nothing to lose but the weight of old habits and assumptions. New eyes, new vision, new path.

Thanks for the positivity.