What’s Roz Up To?

January 14, 2019
Brush pen on toned paper. (Think of this as a self portrait!)

This week I’m going to have a colonoscopy. I know there have been big advances and the “protocol” has been reduced, so what’s the big deal? I’m not that lucky. I have to have several days of fasting. (There are over 12 pages of instructions.) This makes me very grumpy.

Instead of trying to write sensible prose while I’m thinking about Mounds Bars, Dove chocolate, chocolate chip cookies, chicken, and leek soup (what can I say, I like what I like), I’ll be taking a computer sabbatical and catching up on some reading.

I will follow up that experience with cataract surgery on my left eye. And three weeks after that, if all goes well, I’ll have surgery on the right eye.

I’ve been writing  ahead. You’ll still see new, fresh posts from me throughout this period, so please stop by. (I’m even trying to finish my review of Stonehenge Aqua to add it into that mix. It’s got so many examples that I’ve been rolling my eyes just thinking about making a gallery for them.)

If you leave a comment please be patient as I might not see it for several weeks.

I wrote enough posts to take me into the spring. By then I hope to be able to hop on my outside bike. I’m sure to blog about that too.

Last week I posted my class listings (click here to see the schedule).   Classes will be running beginning in February, throughout the year, so be sure to check them and see if something fits your schedule!

Now you know what you can expect of me.

Here’s what I expect from you—read the new posts, or read your favorite old posts. Read some Project Fridays. (Use the category list or my blog’s search engine to find them.) Based on my suggestions in the posts you read DRAW something.

Just a little something every day. That will make me less grumpy.

Oh, and if you live somewhere sunny and snowless, get on your bike and take a ride!

• Eleanor
    • January 14, 2019

May everything go well dear Roz

• Paul
    • January 14, 2019

The look on that dog’s face made me LOL!!! Looks like he’s getting scoped. Been there done that. The procedure itself was a piece of cake. The prep and reestablishing a normal gut flora was the biggest pain in the butt!! Hope all goes well for ya!

• TedB
    • January 14, 2019

Advances in colonoscopy? The anesthetic most often used currently is improved in that you come out of it quickly without the lingering grogginess of the older types. Hate to tell you this, but while there have been a number of so-called “improvements” in the prep, they are still the worst part of the process. Be sure to get some moisturized baby diaper wipes (I’ve never found this in any instructions, but if you don’t you will soon know why you should have). I have had so many of these procedures that I have lost count. It’s a family history thing — I am the only members of my immediate family who has never had colon cancer. So for me the good news at the end always over shadows the discomforting nature of the procedure. Believe me, you do not want to die of colon cancer!

• Cynthia Sexton
    • January 14, 2019

I wish you well with the colonoscopy It’s not a pleasant procedure. But, I have had cataract surgery too and I can say…WoW. You will definitely see the world in a more brilliantly colorful way and with little down time. I promise to draw every day and I will go for my long walk in the park in your honor. Take care…you’ll be eating those chocolate delights soon.

• Lin Powell
    • January 14, 2019

I fought having my colonoscopy, but finally had to. It was (thankfully) not nearly as horrible as I had expected. Even the imposed “cleanse” was not as difficult as expected. And now I know for sure that all is clean and clear in my colon anyhow. Hopefully you will find the same as well. Good luck with all of your procedures.

• Gerda van Hummel
    • January 14, 2019

I wish you all the best for the coming weeks, Roz!

• Elaine Magliacane
    • January 14, 2019

I can’t add anything to the joys of a colonoscopy prep… been there, done that… not fun. Now cataract surgery was a piece of cake, I got the IOL (inter Ocular Lens) so now no glasses needed. I was AMAZED how clear my vision was the very next day on the first eye, and when they were both done… well, you’ll see colors more vibrantly and crisp details that you haven’t seen in years.

• Tina Koyama
    • January 14, 2019

The last time I had to “prep” for a colonoscopy was on the night of the Clinton/Trump debate. To be expeditious, I decided to spend the whole evening in the bathroom with my laptop so that I could watch the debate uninterrupted. I also sketched the candidates from the throne. It all seemed so appropriate. Take care, Roz, and I hope all goes well with your various procedures. I’ll be reading here as usual.

• sandra
    • January 15, 2019

well good Roz, you have had many good wishes and I add mine to them.. seems we have all been thru this..blah!..but the days do pass and it does end (says Pollyanny, dont throw anything at me) I was so grateful for my eye surgery..both, a month apart.. for quite awhile it felt like I was looking thru a marshmallow thru one of my eyes…its wonderful now!.. but most of all, we just said the final goodbye to our wonderful pup and if it wasnt for good Roz, I would not have 11 1/2 sketchbooks, over 2000 drawings, of him…thank you..thank you….

I chose not to have the anesthetic for my colonoscopy because I wanted to watch. 🙂 It was fascinating! The gastroenterologist and anesthesiologist were laughing toward the end, saying I’d probably be making art inspired by the images . . . . While I have mapped and quilted some strange things, I did not map or quilt my colon but I am very grateful we have this wonderful diagnostic tool.

• Lillian
    • January 16, 2019

I will be thinking of you Roz while I draw and take my daily walk with bounding black pups through white fields. May all your prodedures go as well as they possibly can!

• Linda
    • January 18, 2019

That’s a lot to go through, Roz! Hoping all goes smoothly and you’re back to normal as quickly as possible.