Another Test in the Seawhite Sketchbook—and Eyebrow Update

August 5, 2016

160709_Dick-Sepiawhipe-outCR

Above: Pentel Sepia Brush Pen (dye-based inks, fugitive, water-soluble) in a Seawhite Sketchbook. Quick sketch of Dick in the TV room before bedtime. I'm trying out yet another approach on those Eyebrows!

NOTE: The title of this post was in error. I've changed it but not the permalink. It's Seawhite of Brighton Sketchbooks that I'm discussing. I had inadvertently called them Seawhite and caught it after several posts were set up. I've changed as many mentions as I can find, and renamed the category, so I hope that helps.

While I haven't had time to write a full report on the Seawhite Sketchbook (I'm using a 8 x 8 inch square one), I'm happy to note that it works well with the water-soluble sepia brush I love to use from Pentel.

In the above image the ghosty-bits that get a bit grey and cloudy are "normal" for this pen on other papers that allow pick up. It has to do with the way the ink separates. There are a couple little blue-grey bits you can see in his cheek in the detail image below. Those are from a dirty water brush. One of these days I'll get all my materials ready before I ask Dick to pose before bed. That way I won't have to run from room to room after something useful, or to fill a water brush or water container! Or maybe I won't and this is simply the way it's meant to be?

I loved working with this pen on this paper, rubbing and blotting with my paper towel and generally having a fun time in a few minutes so that Dick can go to bed.

I've still got some more pages in this very thick journal. I'm going to take it to the zoo next week, think about it, and then I'll report back on what I have found its strengths and weaknesses to be.

Have a great weekend sketching.

Below: Detail from the full image.

160709_Dick-Sepiawhipe-outCRDetail

Related Posts

• Cathy Inzer
    • August 5, 2016

I am looking forward to your review of the Seabright Sketchbook. Also, more sketches from the zoo!

• Suzale
    • August 5, 2016

On a purely personal note. I like the blue grey spots.

I’m so anxious to go you can’t believe it!

Thanks, I actually like them too! I feel the need to mention these “anomalies” because people might use the pen and then wonder, “Hey, I get the greyed-out bits but I don’t get that bluish tone, what did Roz do?”

It’s so simple. I didn’t clean my water brush. (Bad Roz.)

• Miss T
    • August 6, 2016

Love this, Roz!

• Pat Wafer
    • August 7, 2016

I am also looking forward to review on this sketchbook. Where did you find it? I just wanted to mention I just fell in love with the Strathmore hardbound 400 series Watercolor Art Journal (140 lb cold press paper) which I am using for gouache. It was mentioned on James Gurney’s blog so I decided to try it even though I was not crazy about the 140lb watercolor paper in the wirebound Artist Journals. It is also cold press with some roughish texture and I did not think I would like that for gouache but I love it. And it is cream colored rather than bright white which I usually prefer but again it looks great and since I use it outdoors a lot it is easier on the eyes than bright white. I guess this shows the value of giving different sketchbooks a try at least once. I’m using the 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch landscape format and it lays flat well enough for 2 page spreads. I still love the 500 series Multi Media hardbound journals, too but this is my current favorite for gouache. It felt like the paper was helping me!

• Julana
    • August 9, 2016

Roz, I listened to part of Kirsty Young’s Desert Island Discs interview of British cartoonist Michael Heath yesterday. The book he would take is a humorous old one by George and Weedon Grossmith, titled Diary of a Nobody, written around the turn of the last century. It’s illustrated with sketches, unless you get the free Kindle version. (The digital version with sketches is very cheap.) I thought you might like it, being a lover of Dickens.

• Evie
    • August 9, 2016

Roz,

I just love this (and the blue bits, too!). It is a bit dark and moody, which appeals to me. It makes me wonder what Dick is thinking as he waits for you to finish sketching him and his eyebrows 🙂

Think I’m gonna go and dig out my sepia Pentel brush pen now and play with it some more…

Cheers,
    Evie

Evie, thanks. It is dark. I like that. I want more of this. I think this pen is great for trying this out. I hope you have fun for it.

I, decades ago, stopped wondering what Dick is thinking, I ask him.

Pat I purchased the Seabright sketchbook through Amazon.

I don’t like the Strathmore’s Watercolor journal. The paper is too rough and uniform for me.

I do like gouache on textured paper too, but I just could never warm to this paper—maybe at some point if I try it again. The 5.5 x 8.5 though is out for me. I find the pages too small. This is true of all books by all vendors in that size.

Have fun with your paintings

Thanks Miss T!

I don’t recognize his name so I’ll have to check out his work. Thanks for the heads up on another Dickens fan. I think it is always fun to see how he has influenced so many people in so many fields.

• Pat Wafer
    • August 10, 2016

I enjoy my 11×14 Strathmore 500 series mixed media sketchbook, too but I can get more landscape studies done in a smaller book and don’t need a tripod and easel, etc. Mostly I do landscape studies to help me work up larger paintings in the studio. And it is nice to do a panorama 4 1/2 x 16 inch study if I need to. I forgot to thank you for recommending Thomas Paquette’s Gouache book. It is just wonderful and studying it has helped with the gouache paintings I’ve been doing on Ampersand Aquaboard. I can get more layers on it than I expected. Great book and thanks for highlighting it in your blog. Happy Painting in Minnesota!!! I am just next door in Wisconsin.