share

Another Look in My Not-So-Blank-Page Journal

June 28, 2013

147_NSBJ_PurpleWoman copyLeft: and 8.5 x 11 inch page from my Not-So-Blank-Page Journal.

This page is actually on top of a background that I created for the collaborative part of the project.

I colored the edges all around as I've explained in an earlier post.

When I got to this page I did a quick sketch of a woman's face while I was watching TV. You can see the ink sketch below at the end of this post.

Because it wasn't too late in the evening I decided to paint it and she came out purple! (I was using Schmincke gouache that was out for another project.)

PurpleWomanInkDrawing copy

Left: The Pentel Pocket Brush Pen Sketch before I added paint to it. It has been cut out and placed on a black board for photographing. The sketch was made on a sheet of gridded Quattro paper, which is very smooth and has a lovely grid pattern on it. Also it's fun to paint on this paper even though it isn't a wet media paper. (She had a scarier look in the sketch which I lost while I was painting.)

When I glued her to the page I then stenciled over her with my favorite "aster" stencil and some pink Brilliance rubberstamp ink.

I also stamped a text stamp across the top of the page.

R130207Fortune copy

Left: Here is an image of the background as it was when I first created it for the collaborative project. During printing the borders on the page of course became white (I wrote about the 1/4 inch space the copier made on all the pages in another post). I colored those with rubberstamp inks, drawing the color into the page to blend all the edges. Here you can see the fortune that was covered when I collaged my sketch down. I was sad to lose those strokes and splotches, but the great thing about journaling is that you can always make more strokes and splotches!

When I got to this point in my journal most of the other pages were filled even though I wasn't going chronologically. Her colors fit best on this page. But that meant covering up my "fortune" that was part of my background. 

Ah, well. One of the things I decided early in this project was that I was going to be as ruthless about using the backgrounds in this book as I was with the backgrounds in my journals. Often that meant losing elements (created by other people) which I really loved.

It will be interesting to see what the other participants were able to "save" on the pages they created.

  1. Reply

    This series of posts is great because it shows all how image making is also image building: by taking side trips often the final destination is richer! Love all your entries from this book!

  2. Reply

    Thanks Ellen, I have three more posts similar to this coming up next week. They deal with the Gelli Arts Printing Plate that I did a demo with on Wednesday. The images are from my 2013 fake journal. All of them deal with building up layers.

    And if I have time to scan some stuff I will also have some images of the resultant painted journal that came of the demo—it’s more than half full of pages ready to be painted and journaled on.

    I hope that people, by reading these pages, see that you can create something with many layers and a lot of fun, that doesn’t have to take you all day, because you do the various parts in the bits of free time that you have during the day. Thanks for your comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

RozWoundUp
Close Cookmode

Pin It on Pinterest