Buttons for the Fourth Annual Minnesota State Fair Sketch Out Are HereJuly 25, 2012
Left: the buttons for the fourth annual Minnesota State Fair Sketch Out. The illustration on this year's button is ©2010 Marty Harris—it's the largest boar from the 2010 Minnesota State Fair.
It's time to start thinking seriously about the Minnesota State Fair.
The Fourth Annual Minnesota State Fair Sketch Out will be on Tuesday, August 28. (More details and a map to our 4:30 p.m. meeting place will follow.)
Buttons will be given free to participants (while supplies last).
How do you get a button?
1. If you have participated before and are going to the sketch out, ask me when you see me. I'll give you one (I know you'll sketch at the Fair). Or show up at the sketch out meeting on August 28, and get one then. (I'll have buttons at the August MCBA Visual Journal Collective meeting for past participants who are repeating.)
2. Show up at the Fair on Tuesday, August 28. Then find me (probably sketching in the barns) before the meeting, or at the 4:30 meeting—show me your life sketches of the Fair. I'll take photos for the UrbanSketchers—Twin Cities blog and I'll reward you with a button.
3. If you miss connecting with us at the Fair just draw something at the Fair from life. Then send me a jpeg at firstname.lastname@example.org. by Wednesday, August 29, 10 p.m. Drawings will be posted on UrbanSketchers—Twin Cities (and I'll put a bunch of links around elsewhere too). I want people to see how fun it is to sketch at the Fair—all the great things to see. And I always enjoy seeing everyone's individual take on the Fair. Once I get your jpeg I'll save a button for you. You can pick it up at any of the Collective meetings. (There's a deadline for me to receive your jpeg because you don't want to get behind in line of the next group of button folks…)
4. Our first year we met on a Tuesday, then we met twice on the first Saturday. It was time to return to a Tuesday. (If you have to ask why we shuffle between the first Saturday and the Tuesday of the Fair then you aren't a fair goer!) I realize that just as many folks (or more) work on Tuesday as on Saturday. So if you attend the Fair on the first Saturday of the Fair (or any day before our meeting) and you send me a jpeg before Wednesday August 29, 10 p.m. I'll post your drawing. I'll put your name on a list after the Tuesday sketchers. Any buttons left over after the meeting (and typically there are buttons left over) will go to people on that list in order of image receipt.
5. Life finds you at the Fair on a day following our meeting—same thing applies as item 4 above, except that you will be in line behind people who actually sketched on Tuesday or before. Scan or photograph your artwork (drawn from life) and send me a jpeg. You'll go on the post-meeting list, in line for a button, while supplies last. And your work will go up on the UrbanSketchers—Twin Cities blog.
You cannot get a button if you don't go to the Fair and draw from life and send me images to post on UrbanSketchers—Twin Cities. (I am not bribeable. It's a button folks.)
I could give you a whole list of reasons why sketching at the Fair will make you a better person, but you either get it or you don't. It will make you a better artist, because you'll be training your eye, hand, and brain. We all need practice. When else do you get to practice and eat corn dogs!?
So get out there and sketch.
(More details on the meeting will follow, as well as additional Minnesota State Fair items of interest.)