Schmincke Horadam Gouache Is Back at Wet Paint

May 14, 2011

RozGouachedisplay
Above: Me, so happy that I'm laughing so hard I'm shaking! Darin Rinne, manager at Wet Paint, took this photo of me near the new Schmincke Horadam Gouache display.

D: Psst. Roz they are coming back, they could be here any day.

R: Really? Let me know right away. You'll call me right away won't you?

[later as I'm leaving the shop]

R: You'll call me right away, right?

[next day]

R (on the phone): Are they there yet?

And so it continued for several days, until early this week when I got the call that the Schmincke Horadam Gouache is back on the shelves in Wet Paint. I know in the grand scheme of things, like the world and peace, hunger, declining education, and all that, it doesn't matter a bit to anyone.

But to me it's the best news since…well since they removed the paint to make room for other things that sold better—because Wet Paint is a business and they can't just stock things that I and one or two other folks use.

So change that. What are you waiting for? If you live in the Twin Cities go and get some gouache. Wait, not just some gouache, the BEST GOUACHE IN THE UNIVERSE.

Yes I actually said that to the visiting rep about a month ago when I met him by chance in the store. He quite understandably had that "walk away slowly from the crazy woman" look on his face until Beth (WP owner) and Darin came running out of the office indicating that it was OK to talk with me.

If you don't live here, you can always mail order it. But really, really, really, isn't it time you started using gouache? Started having all the fun you can have? I just don't understand why everyone doesn't use it.

I couldn't get over to WP the day it arrived, so I had them pull essential colors that I was running low on. I picked those up on Thursday when Darin took this photo.

I'm still smiling, and sometimes I giggle uncontrollably for minutes at a time. Thursday night I stayed up late just so I could paint with, you guessed it, gouache. Was I tired Friday? Nope, I rode 18 miles and worked like crazy all day. Painting with Schmincke Horadam Gouache is like taking vitamins.

OK, you know it's nothing like that at all.

But it is like taking vitamins for your creative self.

Now, if you're in the Twin Cities you can walk right in and pick some up. So much fun it should be illegal. Thankfully it isn't or I'd be teaching painting in Shakopee. (For non-Minnesotans that's the women's correctional facility.)

And to the gracious and polite Schmincke rep—Thank you for not spraying me with Mace.

“But it is like taking vitamins for your creative self.”

I love this line – it could be used to refer to art in general, not just the Schmincke paint 🙂

Never in my life would I have thought that Schmincke Gouache could have beaten my beloved dark roast morning coffee for starting my day off so incredibly great. Even smiling. And that’s before my first sip of coffee. Excuse me, but I must leave to buy some Schmincke Horadam Gouache.

Even in my casual travel sketch way, I’m finding I love the Schminke gouache. I have filled a travel palette with some colors of it and some of M. Graham. In cases where I have the same pigment of each, I prefer the Schminke! LOVE the Titanium Gold Ochre!

Note to distant shoppers, Wet Paint does not yet have the new Schminke line on their website.

• Miss T
    • May 14, 2011

I promise I’ll do my part and buy some!

• Zoe
    • May 14, 2011

Breaking good news, Roz.

I learned about it yesterday on the phone.

• LizzieBo
    • May 14, 2011

Congratulations!!! What have you been painting and do we get to see it? I continue to read your past posts and appreciate your journal entries with discussion of how you are looking at your own painting – what works for you and why. I am SO at the beginning and don’t know what I’m looking at but continue just to do it anyway, as you advice (not just you, but including you). Enjoy your victory.

Camilla, I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. Nope, not all of art is like this, all of that is like herbal supplements, only Schmincke Gouache is like vitamins! (I’m really a fan as you can see.) But I’m glad you liked the line and really appreciate that you wrote in!

Lizzie, gouache paintings will be coming up in future posts as usual. I’ve been buried with work and had no time to scan. No complaints. I love when life is busy, but I haven’t even had a chance to scan my animal sketches from last weekend’s Shepherd’s festival sketchout! EEEEK.

Nita, Wet Paint doesn’t have a lot of stuff on their web site. But if out of town people want to call in, someone will help them. Just ask about the Schmincke Horadam Gouache.

You might want to look at the Schmincke site first to see what colors are available and the pigments used so you aren’t on the phone a long time if that matters to you.

Bea, as long as you don’t put the working end of your brush in your mouth, Schmincke Horadam Gouache is also healthier for you than the caffeine!

Nita, Titanium Gold Ochre is so lovely and yummy! You are absolutely right! I have to go paint with it right now!

Yay. I’m happy for you, Roz.

An idea: write a book on gouache. You already have some great beginnings of one in the blog archives. There are relatively few books on gouache and the ones that I’ve seen focus on it as an illustrator’s medium (which is great, too). But I’d like to see a book about it as an artist’s preferred medium.

Just sayin’.

Lisa, I’d love to write a book on gouache. I have a six week painting class that I could easily expand with all sorts of info.

BUT!!!!!!
    I think the person who should write a book on gouache is Thomas Paquette http://typepad.rozwoundup.com/roz_wound_up/2009/04/profile-thomas-paquettes-gouache-landscapes.html

Or if we can’t convince him, then Nathan Fowkes
    Those guys are too brilliant for words!!!

Write to both of them and tell them that you want them to write a book on gouache. (I know they are tired of hearing it from me.)

• Deb Dugan
    • May 15, 2011

I would love to try gouache Roz. Forgive me if you’d posted this before, but could you suggest some colors to start with? I’d like to start with a cool and warm of red, yellow and blue (which is how I approach watercolor). And would I want a white too? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Roz, you are hilarious! Thank you for sharing the good news! I will have to take a trip over to Wet Paint soon!

• Carolyn
    • May 15, 2011

Love this post! Love your picture! Schmincke Horadam Gouache is now on my list to buy.

Thanks Briana! Hope you enjoy experimenting with the gouache!

Deb, if you go to the top of the left hand column and scroll down below the copyright notice you’ll find a search engine for this blog. If you enter “gouache” or better yet, “gouache palette” since that’s what you’re concerned with. You’ll get all sorts of suggestions of posts here to look at for that information.

Top on the list will probably be http://typepad.rozwoundup.com/roz_wound_up/2008/11/project-640-tubes-selecting-a-gouache-palette.html
    Which discusses my palette choices.

Color choice is pretty personal and idiocyncratic.

If you already have a watercolor palette that you like which has a warm and cool of each primary I would suggest that you simply begin buy purchasing the paints which have the same pigments (listed on your tubes) as your watercolors contain. In that way you’ll be working in a comfortably color range and can focus on the differences in paint, not issues of color mixing.

You can always add and weed out other colors as you experiment more.

You will also want a white gouache. For a travel palette I recommend just the zinc white for reasons talked about in the aforementioned posts. But again your preferences might diametrically opposed to mine.

Rule of thumb: zinc white is translucent and warm in color temperature; titanium white is more opaque and cool in color temp.

Have great fun!

• Deb Dugan
    • May 16, 2011

Thanks so much Roz! Sometimes it’s a little overwhelming with all the choices out there (you should see me in the grocery store…). I’m looking forward to giving gouache a try.

Best,

Deb D.

• Linda
    • May 16, 2011

Roz, Love that smile:)Thought I was the only one who gets so happy with art supplies.
    Have a great day,
    Linda

Oh Roz, you could write a great book on gouache! You love the stuff so how can anyone else do it better? If you wrote an e-book you could get more out of it than going through a publisher and you know everything you need to know about writing and sharing about stuff.

I love that vitamin line too!

Timaree, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would love to write a book on gouache someday, but I think there are other people much better suited to it, who use it with more skill than I do.

E-books, I’m not really interested in at this point, and self-publishing such a book on something like Blurb.com wouldn’t generate enough money to justify the time spent. There is a pretty hefty price they charge and if you want your book to sell you can’t really add much per book.

Glad you enjoyed the vitamin line.

Gotta love that smile. Art supply happiness is an amazing thing.

Roz, I am so happy to hear Schminke is back! You introduced me to these ‘like butter’ gouache lovelies and I am a complete junkie about them. 🙂 Yippee! I’ll be drooling over them at WP soon! Thanks!