Meet Martin Frobisher

May 29, 2011

Martin3823

Above: Martin Frobisher, my new polar bear "life drawing" model.

I collect plastic toys for "still life-drawing." You'll remember that Gert, my rubber chicken puppet falls in this category. Recently I acquired another model and I'm totally smitten.

With this type of model, size really does matter. I am always looking for something that is large enough to sit away from and still see lots of detail. Hence my lust for "that doggie in the window" at Old Navy.

Polar bears have long been one of my favorite animals to sketch. When my parents lived in St. Louis, Missouri, I went so often to sketch the polar bears at the zoo that the staff recognized me even after the long gaps when I was off to school.

In France I found Lewis and Clark. (You can see them in the "plastic toys" link in this post.) I've been thrilled to have them. But now I have Martin Frobisher. He is a mammoth (in toy size) 10.5 inches long and about 4.75 inches tall at his tallest point. I think he was a "Safari" toy (I can't locate an imprint on his body), but the tag wasn't saved. (He cost about $15.00, where I found him at Michael's.)

I've only done a couple quick brush sketches of him up to this point. (I'm switching eyeglass prescriptions at present and there is an adjustment phase for me.) I look forward to books full of his handsome face. I'm confident you'll be seeing him on journal pages. I thought he warranted an introduction.

• PeggySu
    • May 29, 2011

Thank you so much for this blog which I discovered because of your generous Strathmore VJ tutorial. You are a very special virtual friend.

There is an essay by Jonathan Franzen in today’s Sunday NYT Week in Review section adapted from his recent commencement speech at Kenyon College that I think you’d like. If you are in a hurry, skip ahead to this part. “But then a funny thing happened to me. It’s a long story, but basically I fell in love with birds.”

PeggySu, thanks for your kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed the Strathmore workshop! I love Franzen’s work so I’ll go check it out in the NYT. Thanks!

• Miss T
    • May 29, 2011

Roz, this is funny — I got the very same bear a couple of weeks ago! Yes, he’s made by Safari, Ltd. Mine is named Sebastian.

• Denise T
    • May 29, 2011

“Frobisher” !! Ha ha- did you watch Damages? Loved it! He’s cute!

Welcome Martin! Hope to see you again on a gorgeous spread!

Miss T, what’s even funnier is that I almost named mine Sebastian (after the explorer Sebastian Cabot! Who also had a Northwest Passage connection), but mine looked more like a Martin—OK, I was just really, really taken with the portrait of Martin Frobisher when I went to look him up and remind myself of my 3rd Grade History!

I hope you have a long and happy life with Sebastian!

Damages sounds familiar Denise. Is it a British show? I’ve probably seen an episode. I try to watch them all, but I don’t recall this one. I’ll have to check it out.

Fingers Crossed NaNa. I’m having a horrible time adjusting to the new eye glass prescription!

Glad to meet you Mr. Frobisher. I hope to see you again real soon.

• Miss T
    • May 30, 2011

Roz, that’s a hoot! The name Sebastian popped into my head as soon as I saw my bear, and it wouldn’t leave. Sebastian and Martin must be brothers.

Sorry you’re having a hard time with your new prescription! I hope this week will be better.

• Diane
    • May 31, 2011

Martin looks good in his new home.

• Karen