Where in the World Is Roz?

January 14, 2010

A simple pop quiz.

091227Puffins
Above: Puffin sketches made from life at the Como Zoo Aquatic Building. (From the Magnani Pescia blue journal I made and used at the end of 2009.) The background, executed in advance, was masked off with tape and then rubbed with metallic rubberstamp reinker (on a paper towel). I used a .1 Staedtler Pigment Liner and light washes of gouache (for the bird on the verso page).

It's a standing joke among friends and family that most of my bird paintings are self-portraits, reflecting some part of my character.

When I got home from the Zoo after this sketching adventure Dick said, "What did you get?" and I replied by flipping my journal open to this page. Result: a laugh, a huge smile, and as he turned to walk away, "You always do it. And here, not once but twice."

So how well do you know me? Have you been reading and paying attention? Where on the recto page is Roz? What did Dick see?

There's no prize for this pop quiz. It's just for fun, after that lengthy post from yesterday! I'll post the answer in a week or so.

• Carol C.
    • January 14, 2010

I vote for the two birds on the bottom!

• January 14, 2010

Carol, since you jumped in, I’m curious, which two birds on the bottom—can you specify center, left, right, expression? Very curious.

I’ll play. The very top right and bottom right. Top right looks like the back of a girl with a braid.

• Carolyn
    • January 15, 2010

stumped the chump…I can’t find you. (unless…do you have a bump on your head?)

Don’t know you well enough to say anything about the self portrait…but in the winter puffins shed the flashy outside of their bill. It’s a mating season outfit for them. I’d love to see one with out it’s fancy bill!

• elizabeth
    • January 15, 2010

I’ll give it a go—

the bottom right bird in the blue section…

• elizabeth
    • January 15, 2010

oops! I forgot to mention the second bird: the bird on the left at the bottom of the page.

• January 15, 2010

Kelly, I didn’t know that about the puffins. It must not be all types of puffins, though because these guys (and gals?) always have their beaks on whenever I go and I go about once a month minimum. I suppose they could take the ones without beaks off display??? But I do an unscientific headcount.

These guys (and off the top of my head I don’t recall the type of puffin they are though I’ve read the card forever) have a crest that is lovely and yellow and they have all lost it and there are only some hits of it, so I know they are cycling those feathers!

I’ll have to do more research on this. Thanks for the heads up!!

One of the Penguins has been molting for ever! I even asked a caretaker about it because I was concerned. She’s evidently fine.

• January 16, 2010

Elizabeth and Donna, thanks for playing (key will be published soon—hand to smile over the braids comment!) and Carol, I do have a bump on my head—it’s called my NOSE!! And it has its own bump!

• Deb Dugan
    • January 17, 2010

I’m thinking the one at the very bottom (Bending to eat) and the one above and just to the right of that one. I don’t know why 😀

• January 17, 2010

Thanks for playing Deb, I’ll publish the key soon!

I’m assuming all puffins loose their fancy bill covers…the ones that I know are pacific ocean birds, tufted and horned puffins.

Are yours Atlantic birds?

• January 21, 2010

Kelly, I’m embarrassed to say it has been so long since I’ve researched these birds that I don’t remember where they are from (I don’t read the signs now, after decades of visits). But I will have to go back and look up my earlier notes. This species has a very plain ORANGE type bill with some interesting lines and ridges, but not any fancy color. Not like some that look like they are wearing party masks. These guys are plain janes compaired to some I’ve seen in books and documentaries! But I love them so for their antics and compact buoyant (sp?) bodies!