Tucker at 3 1/2 Months

January 10, 2010

100109ATucker Left: Tucker, tired out and resting after playing with us and his older "brothers" Dozer (who is also a German Shepherd Dog) and Winger (who is a mastiff and Malinois mix) for an hour. This life-sketch was made on a 4 x 4 inch Quattro grided pad with a Staedtler Pigment Liner 0.1 pen, while we (the people in the room) were talking about tracking tests and the like.

Saturday I got together with my friends Nan and Roseanne at the latter's home because that's where the PUPPY IS! Tucker is 3 1/2 months old now! (You can see Tucker at 11 weeks in an earlier post.) I am totally in love with this puppy, even though, as Nan remarked today, "The Puppy Breath is almost gone."

But he has many other characteristics to delight. The beautiful eyes, the enormous paws, the way he glides from room to room, and the way he loves to chew on my braids when I let him get up close and personal.

It has been so long since I have been around a puppy, let alone been visiting long enough for one to calm down so that I can sketch, that I was, as you can imagine, thrilled. It is so fun to discover with pen again, all the little nooks and crannies of a prick ear, or the notches and knobs of a muzzle.

100109BTucker Right: My second sketch of Tucker when he actually closed his eyes and napped for a bit, but slid more and more out of position, a rush against sleep! There is a lot of body that falls off the page on the right, and then the leg and tail come circling back. I kept trying to draw smaller, but I always ended up with this size and no body on the page. I've made some notes about his distinctive bump on his muzzle and a bump near his nose leather. Click on an image to view an enlargement.

Roseanne and Nan always have interesting dog news or family news to share, but of course the dogs aren't interested in that, so eventually this little guy slumped completely over into what I like to call a "puddle of puppiness."

100109CTucker Left: A quick gesture sketch of the now completely relaxed, totally asleep puppy. Only puppies sleep like this, molded to the earth (or in this case an egg-crate foam dog bed), a picture of complete and utter relaxation. Roseanne moved as if to get up, while I was sketching this drawing and I said, "Please, don't move for a minute," I know Tucker would have bounded up and I wanted to get at least a gesture of the whole form. Click on an image to view an enlargement.

I have no idea what color coat Tucker will have when he matures, but he is definitely getting more and more black fur on his body. He will continue to be an interesting sketching subject in years to come because of the sable coat. I love that he has copper "eyebrows" both because they are adorable, and because, with the light fur under his eye they provide plenty of points to orient myself when I'm sketching. (Remember I had black and white dogs—the perfect sketch models.)

He definitely has large paws right now!

When I put away my pen and pad we all had Chocolate Chocolate (not a typo) Cake, which I had picked up from Cafe Latté on my way out to Roseanne's. And of course, talked about more dog news!

Tuck9001 Left: Having captured details with my pen I also took a moment to take some photos of this puppy! Click  on the image to view an enlargement.

I hope you all had a weekend with some puppy face time! Or perhaps a sketching session at the zoo. If you haven't already been out to sketch today, make a point to do it now!

• Carolyn
    • January 10, 2010

Sweeeet! Puppy, sketching, friends, and chocolate chocolate. Sounds like heaven!

He’s such a sweet looking puppy, and he’s going to be a beautiful dog. Love your sketches!

• January 10, 2010

Carolyn, I think you just defined heaven!

• January 10, 2010

Thank you Cheryl. He is indeed going to be a handsome, handsome dog! Now I have to start bugging Roseanne about tracking training!

• Roseanne
    • January 11, 2010

Ha! I know the prodding is coming, I’m just happy for the respite with the snow.

The sketches are great Roz!! It’s nice when you can catch him in one of those sleepy moments. I just wish you could have seen him on his back with his belly totally exposed. He usually does that pose after he’s been sleeping for a very long time and is just about ready to wake up.

I really like the puppy puddle sketch. It’s so him!! And hey, I only wanted to move so we could cut into that chocolate chocolate cake!!!!

• January 11, 2010

Roseanne I realize you are cringing every time you see my name on caller ID, wondering is now the day I’ll get the “lecture.” Don’t worry, as long as it stays cold you have a reprieve from tracking!

And I think it shows amazing restraint on my part that even though I knew you were going to get chocolate chocolate cake I asked you not to move!!!!

Glad you enjoyed the sketches. I can’t wait to see the belly up position. Dottie used to do that a lot too.

What great sketches and what a great dog. I am glad you know this dog and are able to sketch him. I live in a city and I marvel when dogs walk with their people and get parked outdoors as the human shops. It is so cold! And it is a rare dog that barks or even whines. Such trust.

• Roseanne
    • January 12, 2010

I’ll try to catch a picture of it. He did it again last night, but I hate taking pics in the house at night. Lighting is always tricky and I won’t use a flash. He doesn’t typically sleep sound enough for me to drag out a tripod and he really doesn’t stay still long enough for me to let the shutter stay open enough to drag in sufficient light.

I’ll keep trying! I’m sure it’s a puppy thing though, so I’m sure my time is limited.

And no, I don’t cringe when I see your name come up on caller ID. You goof.

• January 12, 2010

Melanie, dogs, most dogs, really can put up with temperatures that are lower than we feel comfortable at. I don’t however believe in parking dogs outside of shops unattended because people will steal your dog for medical research, dog-fighting, and in the case of some juvenile delinquents, just for fun.

Several years ago the best GSD in the world (this was before I knew Dozer, Roseanne’s older dog) was happily in his yard, two roads over, when a group of kids, ages 6 to 14 jumped the fence and beat him to death with a baseball bat.

Dogs trust us and need our protection.

It would be great to live in a city where dogs were welcomed inside businesses, but then that would require a lot of dog owners to take greater responsibility for their dogs and their manners (people and dogs). Sadly I see many dog owners around me who are no where near ready for acceptance in the broader range of society, so sadly conscientious dog owners have to make other decisions when wanting to have their dogs with them.

I used to walk to the corner shop with the girls and rather than leave them tied up, would open the door and let the clerk know I was there and we would do business outside—but that comes from knowing your store, and asking first, and calling ahead.

Enough of my rant.

Dogs have a wonderful ability to be in the moment, and they like to be out and about watching people and events, so going out with their pack is important.

• January 12, 2010

Roseanne, let’s hope you still think I’m a goof when it starts to warm up!