Profile Friday: David Steinlicht’s Winter-themed Comics on Display!

January 8, 2010

Information about David Steinlicht’s book signing and exhibit.
6a00d83452bfee69e20120a5e7e930970b-800wi Left: A Winter-themed comic from David Steinlicht. Minnesotans will especially relate even if they have lived here only one winter.

Have you had a chance to pick up your copy of "Cornered" yet? If not you're in for a treat as artist David Steinlicht will be on hand for a book signing at an exhibition of his winter-themed comics.

Read my earlier post on David Steinlicht's "Cornered." Visit his "In This Corner" blog. But most important, mark January 28 on your calendar and go and talk with the artist and pick up a book!

Here's what the press release says:

In celebration of the St. Paul Pioneer Press Treasure Hunt, St. Paul artist David Steinlicht will display enlargements of 12 of his winter-themed "In This Corner" comics in the lobby gallery of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, 345 Cedar Street, St. Paul.

The exhibit will be on display during the Treasure Hunt, starting Monday, January 18 and the display stay up until Friday, January 29. The gallery will be open during Pioneer Press business hours.

Steinlicht will sign copies of his book, "CORNERED!" at the exhibit from 4:30 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 28.

The "In This Corner" comic appears Fridays in the Weekend Life section of the newspaper and often features Minnesota-centric and c-c-cold-weather humor.

In the recently-released book, Steinlicht takes a slightly askew look at our pop-culture landscape. The book collects five years of the "In This Corner" comic strip.

"CORNERED!" is published by Nodin Press of Minneapolis, and distributed by Adventure Publications of Cambridge, Minnesota, "CORNERED!" is available now at local bookstores.

David Steinlicht is a graphic artist and designer at the St. Paul Pioneer Press newspaper. He is a Minnesota State Fair blue ribbon winner for crop art. He lives in St. Paul with his wife, Delores.

• Debbie L
    • January 8, 2010

Hi Roz,

I found you through Rice and read you everyday now. I bought myself a new sketch journal yesterday (300 pages – the paper is not too precious!). I really want to learn to draw and know I just have to do it, but when I look at my attempts… ugh!

I need some drawing kick in the butt, uh, inspiration! LOL

Help me please!! 😀

Debbie

ROZ! Look what you made me do!
    May I gift you a piece of my very own made made cloth-in exuberent thanks for setting me on another creative path? That would make me happy.

• January 9, 2010

Debbie, welcome and congratulations on the new journal with the not-too-precious paper! Just what we all need. (300 pages is wappingly large—is that even a word?)

So here’s your kick in the butt. Get a book on drawing—I think that Betty Edwards’ “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” is the best. And then work on the exercises at least 15 minutes a day, without fail, even if you have a cold, even if you stub your toe, even if you didn’t get enough sleep, even if you have to get up 15 minutes early every day to do this—you get the idea. Make a committment to work on your drawing skills 15 minutes a day.

Betty’s book is great (because she walks you through the process of learning to use your brain to see visually and does line, shading, and in the revised edition also color sketching).

Danny Gregory’s “Creative License” is also a great book for getting you to do some daily drawing and daily journaling.

There are other such books, but I think those are the best.

And do it every day for 15 minutes (more if you can, but the point is to commit to something you can actually manage.

Fifteen minutes a day is much better than 2 hours on a Saturday—you never know what’s going to happen on a Saturday, you might have too much laundry to finish or your significant other might say “Hey, let’s go to a movie”—you get the idea.

I make my journaling students in my year-long class commit to this (15 minutes a day) and also remind them that they need 21 to 28 days to make something a habit—so you get a book, and start working and check back in after 28 days!!!

Good luck and have fun. And don’t judge what you are doing, well Betty and Danny both talk about that so just read and work.

It’s going to be a fun journey. You’ll learn a lot about yourself.

• January 9, 2010

Melanie, does this mean you signed up for this class in book binding. Well FANTASTIC! I’m thrilled for you.

I would of course love to have a piece of your own handmade cloth—but what I would love even more is to have you send me a jpg of a book you’ve made and are journaling in, with that cloth on the cover. That would make me very, very happy indeed. If you’ve got enough fabric to do both then by all means I would love to have a piece—but I want to see a photo of that finished journal!

Have a fantastic, fun journey into book making.

Roz

Dave is a genius.

• January 9, 2010

He is Ken. And we get to enjoy it! How great is that!

• debbie
    • January 10, 2010

Thank you Roz for the kick… I am going to do it. 15 minutes a day is doable.

BTW, I LOVE that puppy Tucker! I grew up with German shepherds… they are awesome. I have a rescue mutt who is 2. I got him last year so missed those early puppy days but love him greatly!

• January 10, 2010

Debbie, I’ll look forward to hearing how it goes. You can sketch that pup of yours—a live in life-model! (I didn’t get Emma until she was 18 months old and we were, as Dick likes to say, “One brain in two bodies,” so the puppyhood isn’t essential.)