Happy New Year—Now Get Busy

January 1, 2010

Making room in your life for what you’re passionate about.

091221GuineaFowl
Above: Page spread from the Winsor & Newton 90 lb. HP watercolor journal I made which is approximately 8 inches square. A gouache painting (over a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen sketch) of a guinea fowl using sketches made at the 2009 Minnesota State Fair. (Have I mentioned that it’s never to early to start practicing?) The pre-painted background was first rubberstamped with old office stamps and Brilliance stamp ink. Using a MiniMister (from Archivers) filled with diluted Golden Fluid Acrylic paint (rinse immediately when you are through spraying!) paint was sprayed over some commercial stencils (also found at Archivers).

On December 31, 2008 I wrote about my New Year’s Day ritual. Later today I’ll actually be carving an eraser, making a print, doing a small binding job, going to the zoo to sketch, making a painting (small of course); you get the idea. All things that I love. I do this every year (even when the neighbors burn down our garage!). It’s the best celebration of my passions and interests ever.

On December 4, 2009 my friend Ricë Freeman-Zachery posted a podcast on her blog: “Finding Your Passion.” If you haven’t already listened to it go do so now. Ricë asks the question, “Doing things you’re passionate about, does your day include them?” (I’m sorry, but Ricë has taken down her blog. That podcast is no longer available.)

If the answer is no, you have to jump into action right away and do something to fix it. It is simply not sustainable to have days containing nothing you’re passionate about. Ricë’s podcast will give you some ideas on how to discover what you’re passionate about. My New Year’s Day ritual might help you celebrate your passions and set goals for the new year.

The bottom line is that you need to do something to set an intention this year to live your life applying your energy to your passions. And you need to rededicate yourself to this every day, regardless of what life throws at you—because it’s worth it, because you’re worth it, and because the other option is not sustainable.

Yes! This post and the striking page spread are a perfect way to start the new year, all inspired! I’m on it!
    Happy new year to you, wonderful Roz!

• January 1, 2010

Laura, thanks—and good luck with your 2010 plan which sounds great. I look forward to checking in and seeing how your adventures play out.

• January 1, 2010

Yeah, since I was like 4! I’ll email you. Have a fantastic 2010.

• karen
    • January 1, 2010

Happy new year, dear friend!

• Christina Trevino.
    • January 1, 2010

Roz, what, you are not baking bread today??? No bicycling, no beading, no watching TV?
    Just kidding.
    I know you have many passions in your life.
    I am grateful that you share some of that passion with us, thanks.

Very inspirational post. Sounds like a lovely ritual. Best wishes for 2010!

I read about your New Year’s ritual earlier and I love the idea. So much so that I decided to try it myself. I didn’t get started very early in the day, but I’ve still already accomplished several things and I have a few more things I’m still planning to do before the day is over. Thanks for the idea – I really like it!!

I journaled about your post and blogged about it too. If you’d like to see what I wrote, it’s here:

Happy New Year Roz…love your post and your journal pages are beautiful…as always! Spent the day on the road taking things to our new home. I’ve managed to incorporate one of my passions in these “weekend warrior road trips” (ooohhh…sounds like a blog post title…lol) anyhoot…I bring old magazines along in the car while DH drives and tear them down and save all the ideas that really appeal to me now. Need to purge and save space…so I find it very inspiring finding everything from clip art for my journals to design and storage ideas for my new home. After all…a girl can always dream :} So looking forward to the New Year and all the new opportunities and possibilities that come with it…yeah!

• January 1, 2010

thanks Karen, hope to see you soon!

• January 1, 2010

Christina, baking bread and watching TV are sort of like breathing for me. I ended up doing a bit of both today! Hope you had a great day!

• January 1, 2010

And to you Alberto! I hope your year is filled with art!

• January 1, 2010

Cheryl, well I’m glad you tried the ritual! I hope the rest of the day went well for you! I have a couple things left on my list and I’m running out of time, but the good thing is I’m pleased with the things I did accomplish. It’s been a great day.

• January 1, 2010

Cheryl, I did check it out. I’m glad the ritual worked out for you! Have a great 2010!

• January 1, 2010

Roberta, that sounds like a great way to use time when you are a passenger! I hope your move goes well! Have a great 2010!

6. I LOVE this…thank goodness New Years Day is over and I can run out and get a mini mister and a Brilliance stamp pad…sound of door slamming…
    (and also some bread baking supplies)

• January 2, 2010

Lynn, well if you want to get bread backing supplies buy the book I review in this post

It’s a great method to always have bread on hand.

And you’ll find a great bread stone at Williams Sonoma!

Have fun!