30 Birds in 30 Days: A Virtual Look

January 12, 2010

A look at the installation of the 30 Birds in 30 Days show.

Salon8943
Above: A view of the empty salon, showing the arrangement of the paintings. Not visible in this photograph: the artist bio and about the show signs, and a sign on the "evolution" of a sketch through painting into a jewelry piece (because I thought that would be fun for people to see). The lettering on the center wall space is my name and then the show title is in a script face below that.

For readers who are distant I'm posting this photo I took of my "30 Birds in 30 Days" show installment (click on the link for show details) at Foiled Again Salon. It's not the best photo, and I used only exisiting light, but it will give you an idea of the set up.

It has been really exciting for me to see them hanging all together, chronologically, so that I can see the progression of my intention over the month. Best of all, one sold about 10 minutes after we finished hanging.

If you would like a closer peek at the individual paintings check out "Bird a Day Project" on RozWorks.com.

The show will be up through February 28 for non-virtual visitors.

• betty wilkins

It looks stunning!! I don’t know how anyone could buy “just one!!” 🙂

• Katy
    • January 12, 2010

It looks like a nice setup. Thanks for thinking of those of us far away! And congratulations for getting off to such a great start!

• Carol C.
    • January 12, 2010

Congratulations!! Great photo although I wish I could see it for real! I love your work in general and particularly this collection.

Oooooh Roz, it looks wonderful–thanks for putting up the photo for us to see.

• Christina Trevino.
    • January 12, 2010

How interesting, an art show in a beauty salon! Do they do this all the time?
    If I go here to a salon with the idea of hanging art in their walls, they’d said: “What chu talking about?!”
    They would laugh me out of there.

Are those acrylics? It looks great, Roz.

• karen
    • January 12, 2010

Congratulations, Roz. Can’t wait to see it in person!

• January 12, 2010

Thanks Betty, That’s what I’m hoping! Three of the pigeons are actually mounted on a cherry board to sell as a set, but I think several others could be considered so. We’ll see.

Roz, can you show us the jewelry piece? Please.

• January 12, 2010

Thanks Katy, Carol, and donnamcm. It is fun to see them up together.

Christina, yep this salon does art shows all the time. Check her website and in the flashing photos that go by you’ll see the walls change and especially see some cool silkscreen prints of dog silhouettes that were shown there early this year. The salon owner is herself an artist. And this part of town is very arty, filled with old warehouse and industrial buildings that are now filled with artist “lofts” and studios. There are art crawls (all the studios are open on certain evenings or weekends and people go from place to place) every month, with special events 2 or 3 times a year.

The changing art in the salon, besides giving artists an opportunity to reach viewers, also creates a changing and dynamic environment for the patrons of the salon, and the stylists. I think it’s a brilliant idea.

Christina if you talk to a salon in your area you should send them to Michelle’s salon website so they can see the photos! She also has utilized her space so there are walls suitable for hanging (the facing wall to the lettering is a wall of mirrors and “stations”). Michelle’s salon also won an award from Elle magazine as one of the top salons in the country!

The openings also bring in the neighborhood and others and that’s good for the artists and the salon.

• January 12, 2010

Christina, yes those are acrylics on canvas and canvas board. You can read about that on my website at the project link. (I go on and on about it there.)

• January 12, 2010

Patricia, I’ll look and see if I have a decent scan of it. Otherwise I’ll have to wait until the show comes down and I have the piece again.

This is so incredibly cool!!! Great concept and big congratulations, Roz.
    Man, I wish I had a concept…

• Randi
    • January 12, 2010

these are beautiful, the colors so rich…

• January 12, 2010

Jennifer, you’re a goof. You have concepts all the time! But thanks!

• January 12, 2010

Randi, thanks, the salon got painted just after the last show came down so I got really bright walls which also helps the colors pop. It’s awfully fun to paint in non-naturalistic colors!

They look so good together and it must be rewarding to see one sell so quickly, Thanks for the daily inspiration.

Congratulations! Looks like a nice display. Delores and I will get up there to Foiled Again to check it out. Probably won’t get a haircut, though.