30 Birds in 30 Days

December 29, 2009

The bird-a-day project is going to be on display (and on sale).

30birdsGullFix

For 30 days in November and December of 2007, I painted a small (5 x 7 to 8 x 10 inch) acrylic painting of a bird each day. You can see the birds online at "Bird a Day Project." But even better than that, thanks to the folks at Foiled Again Salon you can see them all displayed together—in person!

Come and check them out from January 4 to February 28, 2010.

These paintings were executed while I was recovering from a nasty fall. I set a daily task to use only materials I had on hand (a stack of small canvases) and bird sketches from my journals. Additionally I worked with pushing my palette of naturalistic color by setting certain (and shifting) color theory "problems" for each day.

All the journal sketches had been made from life, though sometimes they were no more than thumbnail sketches from the State Fair. (See the thumbnail sketch used for one painting by toggling the links here.)

Because I had these sketches, my lack of mobility wasn't an impediment to completing the project. With a sketch already in hand I could simply move on to issues of composition and color theory, and painting. Thus the project became manageable within the other constraints of my day.

The paintings, which are for sale, will remain hanging as a group until February 28. Visit early if you want to ensure your pick of the flock. (Days 17, 18, and 19 will be offered as a set.)

Called Foiled Again Salon, for hours: 612.781.5150.

Make an afternoon of it and stop by Pop! for a citrus barbeque pulled pork sandwich! It's just up Johnson Street from Foiled Again Salon.

Note: No you're not seeing things, I originally posted a draft of the poster which had the hanging date on it. Don't show up on January 3 because you won't be able to see anything! The show is up from January 4 through February 28.

• Laura
    • December 29, 2009

What a great series, Roz! Trust you to make something so great out of a misfortune! I’d love to see the whole series hanging at that salon—unfortunately, several hundred miles separate it and me.
    Have a glorious 2010—-I hope it is a better year for all of us!
    Xxoo,
    L

• December 29, 2009

Thanks Laura, it was good fun and kept me sane. A friend is going to take some photos of the salon with the bird paintings installed so I’ll post that after the paintings come down for folks who are far away!

Well congratulations Roz on the showing, and I agree with Laura, seeing them altogether would be awesome. At least I can look at them on your website, again and again and again.

• December 29, 2009

Thanks Donna, I’m most excited to see them all hanging together as I’ve only seen them on the table in small groups. It will be fun to look at the progression through the series.

• karen
    • December 29, 2009

Can’t wait!

• Katy
    • December 29, 2009

Congratulations! I hope your show is a great success!

• December 29, 2009

Thanks Karen and Katy.
    And Karen, thanks for noticing the show date error! Let’s plan an outing when you can be in town and I’ll take you over to Pop! for lunch and then we can look at the paintings.

• velma
    • December 29, 2009

hey, congratulations on the upcoming show. and may you sell the lot!!! (assuming you want to…)

• December 30, 2009

Velma, many thanks. I do indeed want to sell these painting—to make room for making more—isn’t that always the way? (There are 3 that I won’t be selling because I use them as teaching aids, or as in the case of one—it’s too personal to let go.)