Serendipity—Sort of

November 12, 2009

Looking at another “sketch & collage” spread in the weirdo journal

091103Cockatoo
Above: Yet another page spread from my "weirdo" journal. This spread involves sketching on graph paper as well. Read more below.

Seems to me if I put it in my journal it happens in life. Hmmm.

So if you watched the video of the partially completed pages of the "weirdo" journal you would have seen the textured paper across this spread's gutter and the cockatoo sketch (Pentel Pocket Brush Pen with Schmincke Pan watercolors, on Quattro graph paper).

After that the spread sat for a couple weeks as I worked towards it. One day I added some textured paper along the bottom of the spread. Then last week I added the collaged text: It did not seem to matter now—the slight sharpness, the mocking note that sometimes crept into her voice.

Finally, on November 3 off we went to vote. (I like to save my "I Voted" sticker to put in my journal; since I work alone, wearing such a sticker doesn't help anyone else remember to vote.) And then of course I noted down what happened on voting day.

There is a serendipitous connection between the collaged text and the event which happened later and fell on this page. I will have to explore this phenomenon more purposefully. And with great care.

You are quite funny, thank you. You always make me laugh. I mentioned you on my blog today.

• Donna
    • November 12, 2009

I had a good laugh at the dialog you wrote on the page. Your husband sounds like a character and the perfect match for you. And I like the chicken’s expressive posture.

• November 12, 2009

Thanks Melanie.

• November 12, 2009

Thanks Donna, but it’s a cockatoo! I’ll try better next time.

Another note: today I cleared the watercolor paints out of an older palette, and will be able to save and label them for later use when my watercolor paints get low. But this new clean box will be my half pan palette for my new set of gouache paints (when I go into the city and purchase them). 🙂 Thanks so much for your help in this Roz.

Roz you crack me up…isn’t it grand when we can affectionately call our darling husbands by their pet names and the funny thing is…they “get it”…that it’s okay if they piss us off…cause we still love them…quicks and all. This was a fun page to view and read…have a great evening, fondly, Roberta

• Christina Trevino
    • November 13, 2009

Are you going to explore serendipity???
    Well I’d love to read your notes about that!

• November 13, 2009

Melanie, it’s great to hear the adventure is moving forward!

• November 13, 2009

Roberta, one of the most delightful things I’ve found about long-term relationships is the ability to play with language, but then there is the distressing flipside that some language loses its bite over time and the comprehension of the other person. It makes arguing almost impossible.

• November 13, 2009

Christina, Explore serendipity? I live serendipty. The journal is a marvelous vehicle for showing you this—showing how you can make your own. If I can ever get that search engine for my blog going we can search for other times I talk about it. I’m sure I will write about it in the future! Thanks!

• Donna
    • November 13, 2009

Well you must understand Roz that when I think of you, I automatically think of chickens…………….., but of course it is a cockatoo (she says with slight grin).

Oh my Roz…you are so right on…I guess over time we just learn to “not go there”…have a great weekend, fondly, Roberta

• November 13, 2009

Donna, it’s interesting, I think a lot of people would associate me with chickens but I am actually a goose girl (my two favorite geese—one domestic and one wild—died within the last two years so those geese images didn’t make it on the blog which was only started a little over a year ago). I need to find some more geese! In the meantime I’m making due with TURKEYS. There is a flock of wild turkeys down by Hidden Falls and the Ford Plant and I see it every other day or so depending on when I ride my bike. Great fun. Yep, wild turkeys are something else.

• November 13, 2009

Roberta, or we can go there with different intent from changed circumstances. I think this is the way to find an unsentimental attachment.