Puppy Breath: There is Nothing Like It

November 30, 2009

I visit the newest member of my friend Roseanne’s household: Tucker, an 8-week-old male German Shepherd Dog.

Tucker8Weeks
Above: Tucker, an 8-week-old male German Shepherd Dog, all set for adventure. Photo ©2009 Roseanne Carbone.

"Be sure to breathe some puppy breath for me," called out Nan as she got into her car Saturday. We had finished tracking (I laid tracks for her 2-year-old Australian Shepherd Zeke, who tracks with joy, enthusiasm, and accuracy!) and chatted for a couple hours about matters dog and human. She knew I hoped on Sunday to visit our friend Roseanne who had just picked up her new German Shepherd Dog puppy, Tucker.

What is it about puppy breath that is so wonderful? The warmth, the sweetness, the rhythm of it.

Below: Dozer, my favorite GSD in the world, also lives with Roseanne. He is a handsome 9-year-old, who tracks like a dream (though Roseanne isn't active with him in that activity now; believe me I nudged her about it at least 3 times while I was there). Here he stands in his fenced yard with the new pup Tucker. The breeder thinks Tucker may be bigger than Dozer when he's grown! Photo ©2009 Roseanne Carbone.

TuckerDozer

Roseanne and her husband Blayne were kind enough to let me stop by Sunday to check out the new addition to their familiy. Tucker greeted me at the door, curious and calm. He sat quietly by me and chewed on my finger while I asked Roseanne if she was going to track with him (I waited about 10 minutes before bringing it up). Of course I took many whiffs of puppy breath!

Then we went outside to play for a bit, and Roseanne also brought out the older dogs (Dozer 9- and Winger [a Malinois and Mastiff mix] 4-years-old).

Why didn't I sketch while I was there? Well it was only about 34 degrees Fahrenheit today, and while that's fine for me and the dogs, my Niji waterbrush complains as the temperature drops. Also it's hard to sketch when you are patting two large dogs (Dozer is 90 lbs.) that you haven't seen for awhile, and want to keep your hands relatively free to grab on the puppy if he wanders by (mostly he just scooted his little self under that fence and sprang away!).

Don't worry, there  will be plenty of time to sketch this little guy when Roseanne and I are chatting and waiting for his tracks to age! (I'm not going to give up.)

I tried yesterday and today to post a 60-second video of Tucker chewing a stick. I just can't get it up on YouTube and don't know what the hiccup is. There will be time for other videoes of puppy cuteness. For people who are checking back—sorry this didn't work out.

I’m thinking you really need a puppy for Christmas. Could be a good idea.

• November 30, 2009

Jon, I need a puppy period, but I know (as does Dick) that I can’t have one right now. I have to rely on the “kindness of others” to provide puppy and dog viewing options. Happily I have many friends who put up with me sketching their dogs! (Some friends even let me take care of their dogs when they are traveling.)

After tracking on Saturday though, I have to say, the hardest thing in the world for me to do right now is get in the Subaru and drive away alone, with no steady breathing in the back, not clinking of the dog tags! And of course, no memories of handling the dog, only watching. It is worth it, however, to see a dog work!

December is never a good time up here to get a puppy—housebreaking done kindly is always difficult when the choice is stand in the below zero air (though we haven’t had any of those days yet) almost naked, or live with the accident as you put your outer gear on! (The windchill index was devised for people housebreaking puppies in winter.)

I do not envy Roseanne’s next couple of weeks dealing with that! The good thing is that is is over so quickly and then you are just on to the fun stuff with training.

He is such a handsome puppy! I’m still smiling!

So maybe you need a SPRING puppy!! 🙂
    I listened to Rice’s interview with you today. You really are quite funny and it does show both ‘in person’ and through your writing.

• Roseanne
    • November 30, 2009

Ha Ha! I don’t envy me either!!! Even though we haven’t had a lot of cold air yet, it’s still no fun standing outside at 2am tryng to get a puppy to pee. And then to bring him back in the house hoping with all your heart that he wants to go back to sleep rather than play. It’s not easy to keep him half asleep when that cold air hits him.

Believe me, had he not been such an awesome puppy, I would have taken a rain check and waited for a spring or summer pup.

• December 1, 2009

Melanie, Spring puppies are definitely the way to go, actually if you can get one to hit 8 weeks around about the end of March you’re also set up for tracking training to start too!!!

• December 1, 2009

Roseanne, he is AWESOME and I’m going to enjoy seeing him grow up! Housetraining will be over soon! We’ll celebrate with cake!

• velma
    • December 1, 2009

working dogs are the best…and puppy heads are my favorite to smell, but i have to say that unexpected and necessary 10 week old puppy sitting last august (for 10 looong days) was a reality i prefer to avoid again for a while. it was trying. i did discover a cure for menstrual cramps, hot puppy napping on the tummy.

• December 1, 2009

Velma, that’s too funny. Too bad they are puppies so shortly!

• velma
    • December 2, 2009

roz- i’m thinking of writing a modern herbal with puppies for cramps, horse hugs for affliction of spirit, flying geese for joy of spirit…maybe some recipes and herbs, too. come over and check out my blog (tentative though it is)

• December 2, 2009

Velma, it sounds like a great idea. I think you’re on to something. I’ll check it out.

Puppies. I have a hard time walking away from any dog much less a puppy. I can’t go anywhere right now where dogs are up for new homes. I have four dogs and a cat (and a bird and two goats). My husband says NO MORE. I agree but all of these dogs needed new homes and no one else wanted them. Someday I plan to get a tiny poodle but not till these dogs are gone and I am in no hurry as they are all wonderful dogs. I just don’t know why people can’t love a dog for who it is. Puppy breath. Well only one of mine was that young when I got him and he thinks he’s my baby. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

• December 2, 2009

Timaree, well you have quite a menagerie! What type of bird?

I would never get anything done if I had all these life models around. I would just draw and draw and draw them and one day just fall over dead with a smile on my face.

It’s good to listen to your husband on this, though it’s obvious you have a huge heart!