First Page Spread in My International Fake Journal Month Journal

April 3, 2009

090401IFJM

Above: The first page spread in my fake journal, started April 1, 2009 (my persona writes the date Year-Month-Date). Click on the image for an enlargement.

This week has been exhausting but interesting. I had to juggle a lot of things. One of those things was the start of IFJM, the other was jury duty. I'll be posting about the later sometime soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to post the opening  spread to my IFJM journal to give people an idea of the approach I'm taking.

I did indeed use the Alvin Field book that I discussed earlier.

090401IFJMCrop
Left: a cropped close up of the pen and watercolor on this paper. Click on the  image for an enlargement.

Also as is usual, I started right in sketching with ink, no pencil
drawing. I worked with a dip pen and acrylic ink (Ziller Glossy Black),
but oddly this ink runs more than my Staedtler Pigment Liner did on
this water resistant paper. I think this is because the dip pen nib
lays down a thicker line of ink which can look dry on the surface
quickly, but actually stays wet a little longer under its "crust." The
crowquill nib I was using caught on the paper much more than I
expected. Don't know if I'll keep up with it or not. I used Schmincke
pan watercolors.

For these sketches I pulled out old State Fair and field training
sketches (from when I was tracking with the girls) to use as references. (It really does help
to index your journals.) My fake journal will be a mix of drawings based on my old drawings, my photographs, and drawings made from life. That mix will allow me to cover the topic I'm interested in covering.

I hope you had a good start to your fake journal and are having lots of fun.

Note: If you are trying to read the text and can't read the messy handwriting (because of the skipping pen) here's what it says.

Verso page, under the turkey diagram—

Ever notice how the shape of the wild turkey looks like a guinea fowl?

Conditions here aren't excellent as promised…below whatever level you can think…rustic? remedial? There must be some word starting with "r." I have no vocabularly. Transit was bad. I'm tired. They lost my materials. I'm working with borrowed supplies until…?

Chuck needs to take up the slack in his personal hygene…

Recto page:

a great, lumbering breast of meat as it walks…the carnivore in me sees this. They are so tame it's a bit scarey…And I'm glad dogs were prohibited on the trip.

my first meeting with "Queenie." I don't know if and for how long she might be one of my subjects.

[label on drawing with arrow}: more red higher up on neck…

• Christina Trevino.
    • April 3, 2009

Roz, I thought that you were going “to be and act” like you were another person in your fake journal, or that your drawings would be different, say, like Danny Gregory’s style, or that you were going to draw without anything in front of you, just from your imagination.
    Now, that would be a fake journal, I think, not “Roz like” at all.
    Or did I missundertood everything?

At first I thought this was not ‘fake’ — but then I read your writing about it. I hope you’ll continue posting the text — it looks as though a mystery is unfolding. I’ve got a title page done, and a few ideas, but that’s it. I should schedule a time for it, as you’ve done.

• April 3, 2009

Nancy, it is a bit of a mystery. They always end up that way for me, despite what I try. I think it’s because I only write on the page what I think the person keeping the journal would write. She isn’t going to sit there and explain all sorts of obvious things because it isn’t going to occur to her to write those things down. Withholding info turns everything into a mystery.

I wasn’t going to post all my pages, but we’ll see, maybe as I get more into it, if it takes shape, or maybe all at once at the end of the month in a little Flash movie? I’ll at least post a couple more next week, when I have holes in my plans for what other things I’m going to post.

Scheduling time for doing the fake journal has always worked best for me. I really recommend it.

I am absolutely LOVING the way the pages of my books are totally rippling and scrunching from wet media abuse.

Good luck with your IFMJ journal Nancy.

Beautiful bird and will be looking forward to more. Just got back into town so haven’t quite started mine. Hope to do it…but can’t promise.

• April 4, 2009

Hope you can join in Sandy, but if not this year, perhaps next.

Had to come back and see this bird. I love the close up on this face. I made a half hearted attempt last night, probably not too inspired so it didn’t turn out too good – may not post it ..I’ll try again today.

Is there a list somewhere to view others’ work who is joining in?

• April 5, 2009

Sandyz, don’t give up. As with any journal, we are working where we are at that moment. We learn something from every page. Make some time today for another page and put your whole attention and heart into it.

As for postings, some people have written in and said they would be posting, but no one has written in and confirmed they are posting yet or where.

As I mentioned in April 1st’s post here (http://typepad.rozwoundup.com/roz_wound_up/2009/04/how-to-have-a-successful-international-fake-journal-month.html#more) and on the IFJM Blog I will be posting pieces sent in to me if people want them posted on the IFJM Blog. There are instructions in the April 1st post for that if you want to send something in for me to post.

Whether you post or not, I hope you have a great time today working in your fake journal.

• carol
    • April 1, 2010

So far I am taking off tonight and when I land tomorrow I will be finishing my doctorant in anthropology. that will lead me to places that I have never been before and study peoples behaviors and customs that are unfamiliar to me. I will land …. and when I return home in a month I will be a Doctor with many stories of my travels. I am just going to let it happen day by day.
    As for posting…one step at a time.
    This is going to be fun, thanks for putting it together

• April 3, 2010

Carol, I’m glad you’re joining in in 2010. Remember, as I say in my 2010 prep posts, you don’t have to post your pieces. In fact I think it is a good idea for most people, especially first time fake journal keepers, to not post until they have a good 10 to 15 days of fake journaling under their belts. I’m 3 days into my fake journal for 2010 and I still don’t know when I’ll start posting the pages, or what direction it will really go—and that’s fine with me. Just have fun with it and push your boundarires.

I am so in love with that little bird fellow! The colors you used are divine!!

Thanks. We had live wild turkeys in our yard this year (and most years since) so it made for great fun in both my regular and fake journals! Wild turkeys are actually very colorful!