Chocolate, Chocolate (not a typo) Cake

January 22, 2009

Cake1

Above: Cake One, Sunday, shared with friends (one of whom was having a birthday the day before mine). This is a "party cake." It is smaller than the normal sized cake, but it's good for about 8 people or so. We at this cake with vanilla Häagan Dazs. Click for an enlargement.

This week I celebrated my birthday several times with several friends. For me there is only one chocolate cake: Cafe Latté's Chocolate, Chocolate Cake. (Yes, Chocolate is repeated.) If you are having a celebration of any sort I recommend this cake. They have other lovely and delicious desserts which my friends eat, but this is all that I will eat there in the dessert way. They also offer excellent soups, salads, and sandwiches (the last are made with their own breads).

Cake2
Left: Cake Two, eaten at Cafe Latté, very dim lighting. Some members of the MCBA Visual Journal Collective went there after the special tour of Wet Paint (it's only 5 minutes down the road). I almost didn't arrive in time to get my cake, however, which is why it is in a take out container. I didn't think I'd have time to eat it before they closed! Click for an enlargement.

I like this cake because it isn't overly sweet but it also isn't bitter dark chocolate. It's yummy and just right, with the right ratio of frosting to cake. And since it is a popular cake it is always fresh and moist. The frosting is always smooth, never grainy. A delight.

Cake3
Right: Cake Three, eaten on site at Cafe Latté, where my friend Tom took me for a birthday celebration lunch.
Click for an enlargement.

Cake always tastes better when you have great company to share it with and I want to thank everyone who made this a great Birthday Week. That includes all my friends who "broke" cake with me; and everyone who conspired to give me the gift of a new president. I'm hopeful.

Note: A special thanks to Karen and Marcia who joined with me to draw on napkins in the poor light, when were were there after the Collective meeting and no one was sketching!

• E-J
    • January 22, 2009

That is one beautiful cake! The only part I don’t understand is that you shared it … 😉

happy birthday! i almost fell over when i saw that cake!

• January 22, 2009

Well it was mighty hard to share, but I try to improve every year! Everyone knows I never share a single piece. What’s the point!
    Roz

• January 22, 2009

Aimee, you should see the REGULAR sized ones!
    Roz

• Lynn
    • January 22, 2009

I’m putting this cake on my screen saver!!!

• Pam
    • January 22, 2009

Happy Happy Birthday Roz! So much fun to read this posting! My husband LOVES this cake too… .never never never tires of it… ALWAYS his choice too. (I am partial to the cheese cake). Aren’t we fortunate to have Cafe Latte in town.

Pam

• January 22, 2009

That’s risky Lynn, you might find yourself returning to the computer and leaving immediately to go get cake!

• January 22, 2009

Pam, we are very, very lucky indeed to have Cafe Latté’s offerings!

I have to say I’m in cake withdrawal today!

I feel faint! I want to lick my monitor screen….

Happy Birthday!! (and it looks like it was!)

• January 25, 2009

It’s funny Anna Maria, I didn’t realize the impact that image would have on people, but I keep hearing about it, and frankly when I look at it I want to go back and get another piece. I have to tell you this is the best cake in the world, not grainy, moist, yummy, yummy.

(Roz stay away from the car keys, you have work to do, walk away from the car keys.)

Sigh, I’m getting by today on delicious Indian food and brown basmati rice, even though there is a freshly baked loaf of whole wheat bread on the counter. I just needed something to balance me out after a week of indulgence and nothing is better than chickpea curry! (Well I guess I could have made some naan!!!

• Gina
    • January 26, 2009

Happy Belated Birthday, Roz; sounds like you had a great celebration with friends! The icing on the cake is pure art.

• January 26, 2009

Gina, what they did on that cake is artful isn’t it!!!
    And tasty.