The One Time Dementia Is an OK Thing

May 8, 2017
Graphite and watercolor sketch of a young man on Sktchy. (His hair really was that color.) 8 x 10 inch sheet of cold press Fluid 100 watercolor paper. I’ve been working for the past several months doing more pencil and watercolor sketches and less pen and ink. I’m really liking the Fluid 100 paper which is 100 percent cotton, especially the cold press for this type of work because of the texture it gives to the washes.

So I’ve been working too much lately. Personal projects, work, teaching, and eldercare. I ran out of blog posts that were written ahead when I was ill in January, so I haven’t even had a moment to write a blog post.

This weekend, after a brutal week, I organized everything so that I could go to Breadsmith Sunday, pick up a treat, and show up at the folk’s with a treat so we could have a visit for Mother’s day.

Yes, I know Sunday wasn’t Mother’s day. I know that now!

I discovered my mistake when I came home and called my folks. Dad answered. I said, “I’m calling to wish Mom a Happy Mother’s Day!” He replied, “It isn’t Mother’s Day today.”

Well we had a good chat (all three of us) and a lot of laughs at my expense, all deserved.

It’s just that I’ve had my nose to the computer for so many weeks that when I was catching up on one of my TV shows and saw an ad for Mother’s day I assumed it was the 7th.

The great thing about this mistake is that my folks who don’t have dementia can laugh with and at me about it.

And Dick’s folks, who are having a particularly hard time with dementia right now (Phyllis asked me where her parents were and was surprised when I told her they were both dead for some decades now) didn’t know if it was or wasn’t Mother’s Day today and we had a great visit, with MUFFINS! (OK and brownies too. Which were the biggest hit, note to self.)

They won’t mind one bit when I show up in a couple days without treats (though I always take a couple pieces of chocolate). And they won’t be at all confused next Sunday when we do this all over again.

I could inhabit a “groundhog’s day” universe where we celebrated every day. That’s a thought.

Related Posts

• Paul
    • May 8, 2017

Great portrait Roz! He looks a bit like an angry cockatiel? Yes, we should celebrate everyday but perhaps not always with MUFFINS AND BROWNIES!!

• Beth T
    • May 8, 2017

Celebrating every day. Yep. I thought it was Mother’s Day too, btw.

Ha, The other reason I thought it was yesterday is that it always used to align with the Wool festival and then they changed that so it wouldn’t line up with Mother’s day. Now I think they are in the same situation all over again.

• Deb
    • May 8, 2017

wait? isnt it the first sunday in May? I celebrated it for my mum in law (mine being overseas) on Sunday and she never said a word….

Deb, it’s May 14 this year. She probably thought that it was just on the 7th in Australia and happy you were celebrating with her.

• SusanA
    • May 8, 2017

Oh, Roz, I understand this type of overload all too well. What can we do but have a sense of humor about it?

My mom, who does not have dementia, has a friend in her care facility who does, And her friend will ask for her husband and will be devastated when she’s told he died years ago. Even if that moment of confusion and grief doesn’t last long, it happens over and over. It’s heartbreaking.

Love the vibrancy of your watercolor in this sketch.

• Kathleen Michael
    • May 9, 2017

My daughter called me and wished me happy mother’s’ day on Sunday. And, Deb, I also thought it was the first Sunday in May each year. Maybe it is the second Sunday each year. And yes, the fellow does look like an angry cockatiel! Good sketch!!

• Kathleen Michael
      • May 9, 2017

Checked it out. Mother’s Da is always the second Sunday in May. In England it is on the fourth Sunday in lent.

• Kathleen Michael
    • May 9, 2017

• bill b.
    • May 9, 2017

You’re an inspiration, in more ways that you might know. Thank you for that.