More on Pigeons

June 12, 2009

Pigeon_sculpture

Above: My friend Tom took this photo of his wife Janet standing next to this giant pigeon statue in Pisa, Italy (©2009 Tom Nelson). Click on the image to view an enlargement.

Remember how the other day I was saying Paris, France had the best pigeons? Well I might have to rethink that. My friend Tom just showed me his trip photos of Italy. He and his wife made a quick stop in Pisa where, along with the Leaning Tower of, they saw this gem!

Minnesota is filled with larger than life ducks, prairie chickens, Paul Bunyons with Babes (as in his Blue Ox, not Barbie wannabies). I didn't know Italy went in for this sort of thing. My that's a handsome pigeon. Add Pisa, Italy to the list of destinations to visit before I die. (Tom assures me there is also an amply supply of live pigeons!)

Any interesting oversized wildlife near you?

Related Posts

• Christina Trevino.
    • June 12, 2009

Roz, in that picture what captured my eye was the building behind the giant bird. It seems to be a collection of very different tiles. Do you know from your travels about this kind of building, or maybe is one of a kind?

• June 12, 2009

Christina, Those weren’t my travels that generated that photo. My friend Tom was the one who went off to Italy. The bird statue is outside the Train station there. I just assumed it was some sort of public art “dress up a train station” type building front. I’ll ask him if he learned anything about the building.

In general, from his photos, it seems that there is a lot of really fun color and pattern used on the buildings in the Italian towns he visited (coastal up in the Northwest region).

• Dusty
    • June 12, 2009

I love watching pigeons. I always assumed that they are pretty much the same colour, but there is such a variety of colour and pattern. I love to watch the males do their puffy dance to impress the females, and how much their shape and size changes when they are trying to keep warm.

I’ve been to both Paris and Italy and remember Italy as having HUGE flocks of pigeons, particularly Venice. If you’re looking for giant birds closer to home, Wawa, Ontario, Canada has a HUGE canada goose (but there isn’t much else there, well, other than beautiful scenery and great fishing).

• June 12, 2009

Kirsten, huge flocks don’t guarantie better birds. I don’t know current flock sizes in Italy, but they were monstrous when I saw them. There are fewer pigeons in Paris, but they are BETTER!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU For telling me about the Canada goose in Wawa. It is now on my list of places to visit!! Canada geese are one of my favorite birds! I don’t really need much to keep me happy but giant wildlife statues, scenery is always a plus!

Australia does tend to go in for Big Things. Bananas, Pineapples, etc. On the animal front, the most famous is probably the Big Bull in Rockhampton, beef capital. People kept “souveniring the bull’s genitalia so now they’ve been remodelled in some sort of nylo-flex stuff that allows repairs to “be more easily and cheaply affected.”

• June 12, 2009

dinamow, what state is Rockhampton in? I’m going to add it to my list for whenever I return to Australia! I’m so looking forward to this!

Roz – I’ve just taken a photo here that proves that Italy has the best of taste and the worst of taste – usually side by side.

Sorry, not sure if my link is going to work – http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2765429&l=573a6ae10a&id=732956822

Reading your posts about birds has reminded me that there is a bird sanctuary in the urban lakeside park by my office, where birds of all kinds hang out. Why do I sit in my office at lunchtime and chat with coworkers when I could be out sketching birds? You just have to be careful where you walk, thanks to the huge population of Canadian geese who live here year round and make navigating the sidewalks tricky and slippery. I love pigeons too, although I have friends who despite them because of the serious mess they make in public spaces.

• Diane Wesman
    • June 13, 2009

HELP!!!!! I am going to dream about this bird. I just knew they could get this big….

Roz, Rockhampton (aka Rocky) is in Queensland,about 7 hours north of Brisbane, slightly inland. I think there are several Big Bulls.
    Anyway, it’s rather like Chicago, in that it’s a major railhead/shipping city.

• June 14, 2009

Diane, I am so sorry. I should have sent you a heads up not to look at the blog this day!!! Forgive me!! EEEK. If we go to Italy you can stay at the tower while I go over and peek at this guy.

• June 14, 2009

dinahmow thanks, I had a vague recollection that there were cattle stations in Queensland, but it’s been so long since I’ve been in Australia I thought things could have changed even more!

I will look forward to seeing this place on a future trip!